Hi & welcome to my heart and brainchild; Next Generation Wellness.
‘My mission is to educate, empower and enlarge women’s health and joy, stirring a ripple that positively impacts our next generations.’
- I believe that nourishing + moving our bodies daily, managing our thoughts + emotions, slowing down, + reconnecting to ourselves + others are essential skills to master as parents. I believe it’s the best way for our children to learn to live healthy, happy, + fulfilled
- I believe that health and the ability to learn are incredible gifts and worth investing in
- I believe we need support in learning how to be self-compassionate and look after ourselves
- I believe that when we act more often in kindness and lessen our judgement of others, we can dissolve our own fear and anxiety
- I believe that healthy needn’t mean boring, unsocial or unenjoyable
- I believe that we are all more amazing than we know
- I believe we can only be a true friend to another, when we are a true friend to ourselves
- I believe we owe it to our kids to always learn to show up better than yesterday
- I believe we are the happiest when we live and speak what we truly believe, rather than trying to fit in
My name is Erin Barnes. I have a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAsc) – Human Movement Sciences, am a Personal Trainer, Sports Trainer, Certified Wellness & Lifestyle Coach with a focus in positive psychology, and Twenty8 Health & Lifestyle Educator in aromatherapy, chemical free skincare and essential oils. I am also in training with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Reiki. My experience over the last 17yrs has been across the areas of exercise physiology, nutrition, positive psychology, behavioural coaching and chemical free living.
That’s the professional part, and I believe that quality education is imperative in our current climate. However, so much of my ability to support women, comes through the personal side. Whilst I believe that we should be able to experience big belly laughs, be in the moment without worrying what someone may think of us, how our butt looks, how big our house is, how many sports our kids do, what our title is, if our toenails are chipped, if our crow’s feet are visible……… most women are not.
Several years ago I wasn’t either. This is how it really looked:
1) If I didn’t get two exercise sessions in during a day, I was hopeless, hard on myself, and scared I would get fat. Note: I was also at my most unhealthy and heaviest, and was working in the health industry with knowledge of biochemistry, which should have provided the knowing that over-exercising, negative thinking and emotional stress are big causes of weight gain- sometimes knowledge isn’t all we need!
2) I focused on the low calorie choice, rather than the nourishing one (and ended up with an auto-immune disease so I could barely walk, let alone exercise- spiral on point 1).
3) I suffered anxiety in every setting I entered, choking on my saliva if someone asked me a question, and spluttered out the answer in total disrespect so that they would look the other way – living in an internal state of stress and exacerbating the auto-immune disease.
4) I based my worth on busy-ness.
5) I craved significance because of the frightened parts of my personality, which meant I made hurtful comments to others- all in fun of course!
6) I believed that relaxation was a glass of wine and I deserved it. Never anything to do with masking the real stresses and the underlying emotions. It didn’t help the gut and auto-immune disease either.
7) I believed that life was meant to be hard work, rather than an opportunity to be challenged, expand and experience.
8) I believed in ‘lack’ because of comparison rather than gratitude, also thinking when I had the next ‘thing’ it would all change.
9) I would say ‘yes’ constantly to make other people happy so they would like me. Stress then stayed my norm and I had no time for self-compassion and self-care.
10) I agreed with name calling, and spoke about people too much – because it distracted me from my own weaknesses and shadows.
What did all that end up looking like?
A fearful human, being hurtful, being angry, in pain, busy to gain significance, tired, not good enough…….but no one would have guessed that from the outside, and god knows I wasn’t going to share the truth!
And then I thought it would be normal to bring a little human in to the world and teach her what I knew about life! And can’t they highlight your greatest fears and insecurities!!
I have a genuine understanding of how physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health, create our intentions (aware or unaware), which create our personal experience of life.
Next Generation Wellness was created and operates with my core values close to heart – health, family, relationships, freedom, passion and engagement, achievement, personal growth, contribution, courage, dedication and professionalism.
I am blessed to live on the beautiful Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia, with my encouraging husband and two edifying children and love having energy and being social. I enjoy a great glass of wine, an amazing coffee and chocolate without guilt, but I also can’t go without my real food, veggies and smoothies. I am energised by the beach, yoga and generally being active.
I encourage you to take some time, grab a cuppa and explore what Next Generation Wellness has to offer. There are amazing partners who can also assist along your parental enlargement journey. I also invite you into the wonderful NGW community on Facebook and Instagram.
Why not jump in and begin the journey to greater health + well-being with the FREE 7 Day Family Wellness Series, Free Micro-Moments, Free Fight Fat, Elevate Energy + Motivate Mood Video Series, or connect with me with your story.
Take care and be well,
P.S. This is my crazy little family!